You may wish to apply a discount to a tenancy to reduce the amount of rent due from the tenant. This is also sometimes referred to as a "rent credit". Since this will represent a reduction in income to the landlord, it will generally be with the landlord's consent, and may be for a number of reasons.
- As a gesture of goodwill to compensate for a problem with the property
- In return for maintenance or decoration carried out by the tenant (provided the landlord is satisfied with the quality)
Applying a discount to a rent charge is done by reducing the value of the rent applied. Discounts cannot be applied to rent which has already been paid, unless the payment(s) is first removed to reintroduce an outstanding balance.
- On the tenancy view, go to Rent & Charges > Rent to see a full list of rent charges. Alternatively, you may click through on a particular rent charge which is displayed in another table or statement view.
- From the list of rent charges, click any rent charge with an outstanding rent amount. In the list of rent charges these will be highlighted with a red outstanding balance column.
- On the view rent page, click Options > Edit to modify the rent record.
- Adjust the rent value (and dates or description, if necessary). If partial payments have been received the rent value cannot be reduced to a value lower than the amount paid.
- Click Save to apply these changes.